Saturday 10 November 2018

I Miss Video Rentals

There was a story a few months ago regarding the very last standing Blockbuster video rental store.  It's situated in a small town called Bend, Oregon.

Having recently finished Netflix I felt myself at a loss for something to watch and it was then I began to long for the beauty of the video rental store.

There's still plenty to watch on Netflix if you like reality shows or sitcoms or true story series.  Not me.  Here in Canada, the Netflix selection sucks hard and the algorithm used to make suggestions is less than evolved.  Not only is it not accurate, it shows me the sames shows across all categories.

Like the people who used those two closing Blockbusters in Alaska, I live in a province where 30 minutes outside of the capital, the internet is colossally expensive and just adequate for streaming a movie.  The bandwidth has been marginally improved but the price is still prohibitive for most people.

I liked the days of heading off to the video store.  Not only was there more variety, there were actual human curators who knew that Science Fiction had nothing to do with narcotics trafficking.  If ever I was stuck choosing something, there was a warm blooded mammal who could tell me a little more about the movies over which I was deliberating, helping me make my decision.

Plus, there are a lot of films out there you would never hear about if you weren't able to browse past them.

1 comment:

Comments are welcome and encouraged, but please be nice or at least least stay on topic. Otherwise, you will be treated like the asshole you apparently are.

Thanks for understanding.